We all love getting comments on our blogs. Not all of us are seeing the comments come in, however. Why not? Well, without reviewing your blog, I can't really say. But, I can share some ideas on how to get more people to comment. Over the next three days, we'll share Caroline's advice, Yvonne's advice and Tom's advice.
Caroline Golon's Top 5 Ways to Get People To Comment
1. Comment at others' sites! The more you engage with others, the more they'll return the favor and engage with you. One blogger I love who has a fabulous blog but also spends a lot of time connecting with her readers is Daisy Curly Cat. She's a great example of someone who engages with her community extremely well.
2. Pay attention to your posts that do get comments. Analyze what your readers said in their comments for clues as to what prompted them to leave a comment. Check out other blogs that get a lot of comments and analyze them, as well. Dr. V. at Pawcurious.com, for example, does a great job of presenting topics that inspire feedback and input from a broad audience.
3. Ask your readers for feedback! Conclude your post with, "What do you think?" Or "Would you add anything to this idea?" Or "What's YOUR favorite place to walk your dog?" But, never, ever beg for comments!
4. Controversial topics usually create a forum for discussion. Use these sparingly unless you want to be known for controversy. (and there's nothing wrong with that!) Just make sure controversy is part of your blog's overall tone, if you go that way on a regular basis.
5. Make sure it's easy to leave comments on your blog. For example, don't require someone to register. Make sure to have a "name/URL" option or even Anonymous box for people who aren't Blogger or WordPress users or who may not even have a blog, themselves! Think carefully before you choose to moderate comments. Moderating creates a barrier for people commenting next time. People like to see immediate satisfaction of seeing their comment posted! (Screen shot courtesy of Your Daily Cute. Thanks, Cute!)
Come on back tomorrow for 5 more ways to get readers to comment on your blog.
And, by the way, what are YOUR ideas for getting more comments? 😉