Our friends at AllPaws.com wrote a great post on the 12 reasons to adopt a shelter pet and we wanted to share those with you today!
If you’re thinking about adding a dog or cat or guinea pig, ferret, bird, fish or reptile to your family, there are 12 great reasons you should consider a shelter dog (or shelter or rescue of any of the other species!)
Adopting a pet means:
- You save a life! Adopting cuts down the number of euthanizations each year. You’re also giving a deserving pet a forever, loving home
- Most animals in shelters are up to date with their vaccines, are spayed/neutered, and some are even microchipped!
- Because many of the animals in shelters are older, they may already be house trained.
- You will be giving yourself, and your family, a 24/7 snuggle buddy! (P.S. a pet doesn’t care if you decide to spend the weekend lounging around in sweatpants with unwashed hair!)
- When you adopt from a shelter, you open up a spot for another dog to be kept in the shelter who also needs a forever home. Overcrowding is an issue at most shelters at most times of the year.
- Don’t like the veggies at dinner? Your dog won’t mind finishing your plate. Most veggies are good for pets!
- You will have someone who will always listen to your problems. Bad day at work? Your pet will be there to listen and offer a nonjudgmental ear (or two)!
- Pets can help reduce stress! This is been proven by medical professionals — stroke the fur of your pets and your blood pressure will lower.
- When you adopt, you won’t be supporting puppy mills or back yard breeders.
- Instant bed/couch warmer! Save on electricity bills if you snuggle with a pet on the couch!
- They will love you forever. There is nothing that can beat that unconditional love.
- Bottom line: You just should.
Adopt your next dog at AllPaws.com by clicking here.
(Photo: Shutterstock dog and cat)