Think back six months: Were you energized for a fresh year? Did you outline all your goals for the year ahead? Did you feel inspired and motivated to start achieving your blogging goals?
I know I was! I also know it’s easy to let that excitement wane. Halfway through the year you might be bogged down with new work responsibilities or tasks around the home that you didn’t foresee when planning your new year. Or maybe the goals that resonated on January 1 are no longer rocking your world.
Now that we’ve hit the mid-point in the year, it’s time for a goal check in. #GoalGetting for the win!
Answer these five questions to find out if you’re on the right path toward achieving your blogging goals or if you need to re-calibrate for the second half of the year.
- What were my goals at the start of the year? Open the page in your notebook or the file on your computer where you listed your big goals for the year. Take a few minutes to read through them. No judgment. Simply remind yourself where you were at the start of the year.
- Are they still inspiring excitement? Targets move! Perhaps your goals on January 1 are no longer in alignment with where you are now. That’s OK! Shift your targets! For instance, let’s say you wanted to start a YouTube channel but maybe you felt uncomfortable on video. Don’t fight it just to achieve that goal (unless, of course, you’re required to or it’s necessary to your career or position). Instead, shift the goal. Maybe you can look into how to launch a podcast for the second half of the year. If your goals aren’t knocking your socks off, consider making changes. Conversely, if they’re still exciting you but you haven’t made progress, be sure to read question #4!
- What wins do I get to celebrate? Every goal achieved, big or small, deserves to be celebrated! If you’re skimming your list and realizing that you accomplished something on there, plan some time to celebrate your win! It doesn’t have to be a big party with cake and ice cream (though it could, and I’d love to come!). Anything simple works just as well, like splurging on some new office supplies or knocking off early on a Friday to go for a hike–whatever motivates YOU!
- What activities can I plan to make progress on the remaining goals? After your celebrations, what’s left? Those goals that you haven’t yet achieved but still want to work toward need concrete activities. Break them down into individual baby steps and schedule some activities into your calendar.
- Is there anything else I want to accomplish this year? Things change, and maybe a spark of inspiration or a new project idea popped into your head since 1/1. Add it to the list, but be sure to break those new goals down into achievable chunks that can be scheduled into your calendar.
Wherever your answers fall–from #winning to “OMG, I’ve done nothing”–don’t forget: Every day is a fresh start! Every morning when you sit down at your desk, you have the opportunity to make progress on your big dreams.
What can you do today toward achieving your blogging goals? How’s your progress looking halfway through the year? Any wins we can help you celebrate?
Maggie Marton serves as the BlogPaws senior editor. When not hiking with her two pit mixes, Emmett and Cooper, or playing with Newt the Cat, Maggie writes about them (and the pet industry) at ohmydogblog.com and maggiemarton.com.
Image: Rawpixel.com/Shutterstock.com and Halfpoint/Shutterstock.com